Dancing WipEout

Forum for Stepmania series Dancing WipEout

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Share | 

Starlight Reviews

Go down 
AuthorMessage
MC_XD
Beginner
Beginner

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2006-12-01

PostSubject: Starlight Reviews   Tue 27 Feb 11:50

Instead of reviewing DW3 i've decided to start on starlight

In The Sky Heavy (8 Footer)
Over all a great chart. I love the song, it has a nice rhythm which, when coupled with the steps, makes you smile. The back half of the song had a few too many double steps imo but other than that this is a great file. 9/10

Fire Heavy (7 footer)
After listening to the song I was very excited about what the chart would bring and frankly, some parts of it dissapointed me, there was far too much switching between what part of the music the arrows followed in one perticular section, and a few of the cross overs seem strangely placed.. like they shouldn't be there. However the file is not all bad, the 2nd half of the song really redeams the file in my opinion rounding off a pretty good 7/10.

Centerfold Heavy (8 footer)
Hard for an 8, except very fun. The patterns seem solid and well made, they also flow with the music well. I don't like the actual song much though =/ but for the steps I give a 8/10

Doki Doki Lullaby Heavy (8 footer)
I actually didn't expect much from this file and was actually leaning towards not really playing it... but i'm happy I did. This file is EXCELLENT. Out of the 4 I have reviewed now this is probably the most enjoyable. The song is bouncy and fun and the steps have a bouncey feel to them. The chorus I liked especially. My only nitpick is the fact the head of the girl in the background is actually covered by the targets a little. Overall i'd say this is a high 9/10, close to 10.

Next time i'll review: Stakeout, Stakeout Donnerschlag Remix, Do U Remember and B.E.C.K.Y

So you are off to a good start Wip3out :V keep it up
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MC_XD
Beginner
Beginner

PostSubject: Re: Starlight Reviews   Wed 28 Feb 8:48

Stakeout Heavy (7 Footer)
There is 2 ways I could look at this chart. One would earn you a 9/10, the other.. a 7/10, so i'll compare. This file seems to have, in some places, a pattern of a stream->crossover->doublestep->stream->crossover->doublestep etc... Depending on how I think about it, I would either find it very interesting to find a nice pattern like this or I would find it annoying there are so many doublesteps. Also I felt that current chart was approprate for the song however you could have made it a lot harder and more interesting if you decided to... since I can't decide i'll give you an 8/10 :v a great chart overall, and can spark some interesting discussion

Stakeout Remix Heavy (8 footer)
This chart is MUCH better. This whole chart was flawless... or so I thought. At the very end is a strange and generally unneeded step.. ULD-R-RDL-R. But to keep this short and sweet, i'll give you a 9/10 :V One of my favourites so far

Oosanbanshi Heavy (9 footer)
If this were an ITG-style mix rather than DDR. You could have easily got an Expert 10 out of this. But I am just as happy with the 9. The rhythm and jackhammers in this chart make it very gimmicky (which I like Very Happy ). I'd hate to say it though, but there is one part which is offsync. In the 'chorus' sounding parts of the song there is a "4th16th-16th4th--16th4th" rhythm (if you understand where I am talking about?) however I almost immediatly noticed it should be "4th16th-16th4th-8th16th-" instead... if you don't understand what I just said I will explain it better if you ask.
Overall this is an 8/10

B.E.C.K.Y Heavy (7 footer)
Very good feeling to this chart, you actually feel a bit like a cheerleader when doing the steps I must say. Not much else to say really except I found Medium fun also. 9/10

And yes, I did Oosanbanshi instead of Do U Remember... so sue me Razz

Next i'll do Deadly Blow, Do U Remember (really.. I will), Jewerly Girl and Upside Down Eurospeed Mix
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MC_XD
Beginner
Beginner

PostSubject: Re: Starlight Reviews   Thu 1 Mar 12:06

Fire Heavy Re-Review (7 Footer)
Ok after your comments on the Stepmania forums i've been playing this through a few times. For the first part of the song the pattern is nice and simple, fun and not only follows the music but has that dancy feel you wanted. There is one really akward step in it though: https://redcdn.net/ihimizer/img152/9448/screen00041ez2.jpg (the highlighted section. In the following section is one thing that really threw me off and I personally see as pointless, there are two L+R freezes in that section.. both of which SEEM to have any baring to the song whatso ever so it would be nice to know why they are there. In the next section I liked the jackhammers, they are similer to the ones in Oosanbanshi... and everything after that seems perfect. So in the end i'll probably bump it up to 8/10

Deadly Blow Heavy (9 Footer)
That creature in the background is badass... very cool... oh uh sorry ^^; i'll try not to look at the background too much. Anyway the patterns in this make a lot of sence and seem to mirror themselves perfectly. This chart is very gimmicky using strange and wounderful double step patterns and the streams were hardcore I must say. I personally think that long LRLRLRLR could have used some variation. Maybe something like LRLRUDLRLRUD. The ending is great for one reason... it's sudden and unexpected. One minute your doing a stream with some jumps then suddenly all sence of pattern goes out the window and you are playing some tough chaotic steps... very nasty but very cool Twisted Evil Anyway I give this a 9/10, the song got on my nerves after a while

Do U Remember Heavy (7 Footer) and Oni (8 Footer)
Heavy - This is definatly an 8 footer, not 7. It also seems to suffer from a bit of Ultramixsyndrome (as people like to call it), where you have to quickly change your position on the pad between streams to prevent doublestepping/crossovers, depending on your playing style you could just do the doublesteps and continue just fine but some people (like me) get really confused in a way at these sections and I wouldn't encourage it. So i'm giving this a 7/10 mostly because of personal preference, not so much errors in the chart.
Oni - Some of the gallops in this are really offsync, sometimes up to an 8th off. Other than that I say much the same as heavy. 7/10 again

Jewelery Girl Heavy (8 Footer)
I love the song Very Happy And I love the steps too, you brought across a nice array of crossovers, I especially liked a few crossover jumps I was seeing. Since I have to go I will rap this up by saying the spot where you cut the song is REALLY noticable. 9/10

Next i'll do Upside Down (like I said I would this time), Space Flight, Sig Sig Darkside Remix and I Will Fly
Back to top Go down
View user profile
W1p3out
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 427
Registration date : 2006-05-05

PostSubject: Re: Starlight Reviews   Thu 1 Mar 21:35

Thanks MC_XD =)

-> Fire : if I've understand correctly with your picture, you need to step on the right to catch without using the same feet all the other arrows.
(I use tha same technic in Star Gate Heaven, a moment I step on the middle of the pad because I don't want to use the same feet 2 times)

=> Deadly Blow : LRLRLRLR is more hard to get the right timing thanLRLRLRLRUDUDUDUD. Also, due to the song, charts are completely based on "Stoic (FOR EXTREME)"

=> Do U Remember : I must admit I've take a long time to decided about the heavy foot rating (the same problem with Centerfold). Maybe I'll correct it for the final version.
If you look about "So Deep (Perfect Sphere Remix)", it's more a 10 than a 9, Konami decided to put 9, a really hard 9. Maybe we can apply the same theory for some of my foot ratings. I'll take a look again about

When the mix is done and your review too, I'll copy/paste everything on a webpage and demand a news on Stepmania.com. Like this, everybody can see what we can find in this mix. thanks again MC_XD Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.rezweb.org
MC_XD
Beginner
Beginner

PostSubject: Re: Starlight Reviews   Fri 2 Mar 9:39

Upside Down Y&Co Speed Mix Heavy (9 Footer)
Reminds me of Can't Stop Falling in Love Speed Mix. I felt that some of the LURURULURU style streams were a bit longwinded and over used but other than that this chart seems solid (and fun). The background hurts my eyes a little though. The jumps seemed well placed btw. 9/10

Space Flight Heavy (7 Footer)
One of my favourite charts in the mix so far and your first 10/10 for the mix Very Happy . The video makes me laugh whenever I see it and the steps are basic but very well made. I also like the turns in it. Sometimes the arrows followed the lyrics maybe a little too closely but I didn't mind. Also I felt that you could have got a lot more out of this song in terms of difficulty but it is PERFECT the way it is... I might make an edit or something.

I Will Fly (7 Footer)
Noticably shorter than the other songs. Has plenty of variaty and the rhythm is approprate to the song. A fun chart, not much else to say really 9/10

SigSig Darkside Remix (9 Footer)
If you ever make an ITG mix, I would LOVE to see this revived and restepped I must say. I really enjoy the style of steps you give to Hardcore/Gabba songs, things like 4th stream jumps and holds for curtain sounds (which are hard to describe..). At the end of the song (Bar 60 and onwards) I felt that the crossovers and double steps were kind of hard compaired to the rest of the song but it doesn't deduct from the chart much so this will come out at a 9/10

So this has been the best group of 4 so far itseems

Next: I Will Fly Remix, Come on Boy, Around the Universe, Wish
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MC_XD
Beginner
Beginner

PostSubject: Re: Starlight Reviews   Sat 3 Mar 6:38

Come On Boy Heavy (8 Footer)
Much like you said, I would say this is a 'very hard 8, close to a 9' mainly because of the tricky sections at the start and end. For some reason I didn't find this chart amazing, but it was more of a personal thing, the chart is excellent and has a lot of variety. I would say this is one of those less genric eurobeat songs. I would say 9/10 but it didn't have as much tilt as I thought it would.

I Will Fly Remix Heavy (7 Footer) and Oni (8 Footer)
Heavy: When I downloaded DW3 I was very selective, since I didn't like the eurobeat stuff too much eneded up not playing I Will Fly. Come DWStarlight and I am playing all of them and finding not only some great charts but some great songs which I missed. This remix is what got me into the original I Will Fly. Not only is the song great but the Heavy steps are brillaint. They follow the music great, are nice and simple yet giving enough challenge in other ways to accomidate for all skills. If I wanted to be picky I could say the jumps at the very end althought they fit, were really overdone and not needed. But it's an ok way to finish off a chart. 9/10.
Oni: I see what you were doing in making it harder but I think there is way too much doublestepping and extra stepping going on, you could think up 20 different ways to do the chart which is kind of akward and confusing, the main place this occurs is in the patterns at the very start (before the skipping section comes in), but there is also some in the verse and near the end of the song. Other than that I would say this is the opposite of heavy in terms of rhythm. Heavy follows the lyrics exactly while oni follows the swing of the song, a 123-123-123-123 pattern mostly.. and I liked it. Also like chicky said, this is a 9 footer and not an 8. Overall 7/10

Wish Heavy (6 Footer)
I makes me sad when people say stuff like "ak a 6 footer, too easy won't play" since sometimes the easy ones are the best, and this chart proves me right. It was a nice flowing song, you could almost close your eyes and follow the feel (as long as you knew the steps) and hit them perfectly... Also the steps reflect the song's mood, it seems more relaxed and slow and so are the steps... excellent work. Speaking of easy though, I did feel it could have used an oni... but you could probably end up leaving it to one of us to make an edit Wink The 2nd 10/10 for the mix!

Around the Universe Heavy (8 Footer)
Nothing really bad about this chart but not much I could blab on out for hours... so to keep it short i'll just give it an 8/10. Didn't like the song much but the steps were pretty cool.

Next i'll do Don't Go, Frantranstic, Frantranstic ~Sweetest Mix~, Tokyo All Ready and Psychu Planet V
..gasp i'm doing 5 next time

EDIT: And yes, that does mean you have single handedly made me like Eurobeat
Back to top Go down
View user profile
W1p3out
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Starlight Reviews   Sat 3 Mar 10:18

Thanks MC_XD =)
I'll comment later, I finish to prepare an event with my rhythm games association, so I don't have too much time =)

But I'm agree with one thing : some times, the most easy songs are the most enjoyable =). glad you like it, at the beginning, I'm thinking "Wish" have not a really good chart.
Back to top Go down
MC_XD
Beginner
Beginner

PostSubject: Re: Starlight Reviews   Sat 3 Mar 13:11

Fine by me W1p3out, hope it goes well.

Don't Go Oni (8 Footer)
I feel like doing oni only for this review, I might review heavy some other time. Anyway I have one big gripe with this... way too short, just as I was getting into the groove of the song it's over =/. Anyway the are pretty good, nothing too special but I would definatly play this again. Once the lyrics came in you could have probably followed them more loosely than you did, a lot of the background melodic rhythms were left out and coupled with the lyrics could have made an awesome chart. Also the 2nd half or so of the song was really well made. Reminded me of Ass Up in some places. I would recommend people trying this for a warm-up (if they are on the 9 and 10 footer passing level). 8/10

Fantranstic Heavy (9 Footer) and Oni (10 Footer) Note
I am actually going to save this review for later since it is quite extensive and I wish to ask a few questions and things

Fantranstic Sweetest Mix Heavy (8 Footer) Stepmix Entry
I will say not only found the steps in this fun, but SMART. That is, you could have easy went for a 10 footer in this but I think you would have been pushing on the edge of unneeded stream which is bad. Once again this song was much shorter than I wanted it to be but I feel this would be a very hot contender in stepmix and earns you a 9/10. The stream near the end was a tad chaotic but the whole chart was fun and I love the song, you should make songs more often seriously.

Psychu Planet V Heavy (8 Footer)
Yay, finally the type of chart I was waiting for. I'm not sure if you have downloaded and played Brother Mojo's simfiles but when I reviewed his one of the things I picked up as good was his excellent use of turns on the pad, where you swing your body and it's fun. This chart has it! Although not as uniform as I had hoped, but it still made me smile. The first part of the song is close to a wall-of-sound style thing so almost any step pattern would feel fine and strange at the same time =/ making the work required to get something good much higher and I think you pulled it off. This would have got 10/10 if the turns were more uniform and the first half of the song less chaotic so for now you will just have to settle for 9/10.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MC_XD
Beginner
Beginner

PostSubject: Re: Starlight Reviews   Fri 16 Mar 23:40

Candy Galy Heavy (8 Footer) & Oni (9 Footer)
Heavy: This chart is more about stamina than following the patterns, since they are fairly simple just hard and nonstop. At the end of bar 12 is a D+R which is followed by an L. I think the L shouldn't be there but thats just me. Also at bars 33 to 35 you shold have followed the main melody for a 4th stream, rather than following the background. 8/10 overall, the rest of the song was fine.
Oni: It's basicly a much more technical version of heavy, I found most of it nice and the rest (where is changes to video 2) was much better in Oni. Bar 41 and onwards should really have had more stream, because it would really bring foward and lead up to a climax at the end of the song. Bar 49 brought in that stream I wanted but there was then too much switching between what the song followed (making it very confusing).
However it is not all bad, the final section was very well made I felt... even if it was just an 8th stream to most, the patterns in it were fun.

Oh and what is with the videos lol...? Are they the IIDX Vids or something?

Hidi Hidi Do Heavy (7 Footer)
It's nice to have a basic but not extreamly easy song which the people who are new to Heavy can enjoy. So if you are still getting up to 6s and 7s in DDR give this a try, you will love it. Me? I give it 8/10, nothing especially bad and nothing amazingly good.

Red Rocket Rising Heavy (8 Footer)
This is my favourite BeForU song, and I felt the steps did it justice. I don't know if you did this on purpose or not except there is a brilliant pattern of having the up and down arrows more often than not land on the strong words in the lyrics. Reminded me a lot of Healing Vision Angelic Mix's patter, where up is the last arrow in each 'block' at the start of the song. Other than that the song doesn't have much that really sticks out, I just find them really fun. One complaint though is a break in the rhythm of one section: https://redcdn.net/ihimizer/img126/3996/screen00045qe8.jpg There is a right-left-right-left body motion that.. imo.. is pointlessly broken. 9/10 overall

Deep Roar Heavy (8 Footer)
I really didn't find it right how people went up saying "this song sucks" then completely ignored the steps. I think it's wrong, totally wrong. Just to get the message across to all the other Wipeout-fans who read this: These are probably the most creative steps in the mix thus far. Although I perosnally would expect more from Naoki + Tatsh, the song actually kinda grew on me. As I was saying.. the steps are very creative, since the song changes it's rhythm and style a lot you are forced to constantly change your rhythms and step patterns with it making a very technically challenging song. The usage of double steps is kind of annoying in this but at the same time reflects the song's personality once more, constantly keeping you alert and ready for anything. So these steps are special in their own way and I would give this 10/10. Also this is close to being a 9 footer Wink I have a feeling it's one of the ones you took a while to decide on.

Tokyo All Ready Heavy (7 Footer)
Short and sweet. These steps did actually feel like I was dancing to the music and just well.. arrow stomping, like you said it is Dance Dance Revolution after all, not 'Arrow Stomping Game'. Also the double steps were fun and you had a lot of turning to keep it interesting. I also couldn't help but notice the Nori Nori Nori parody. One thing that bothered me was the Waka Laka style jumps, they are REALLY hard to spot. 9/10

Next Time: Wish Eurobeat Mix, The Shadow, Never Give Up, Go Racing Go
Back to top Go down
View user profile
W1p3out
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Starlight Reviews   Sat 17 Mar 2:13

Thank again MC_XD =)

Candy Galy : Heavy are most a-la-Happy Angel style. This is the IIDX Gold video, not random backgrounds =)

Red Rocket Rising : We have the same thing in "Star Gate Heaven", it's more to add a feeling to dance, but maybe I can change this section. I admit I've doubted a long time, but meh ... like in SGH ^^

Deep Roar : An amazing song, certainly more catchy than "Brillant R*E*D" ... The double steps are placed to add a feeling to play "Brillant R*E*D" and break the repetitiveness of the steps, like the 16th-4th section. Maybe we can cosiderate this sons as an hard 8. It will be too easy for a 9.
Back to top Go down
MC_XD
Beginner
Beginner

PostSubject: Re: Starlight Reviews   Thu 22 Mar 0:00

Wish Eurobeat Mix Oni (7 Footer)
I love little points (as you know). The 2 holds at the start actually followed the music especially well since you kept the left one going for a 4th longer once the right was pressed. I also liked the swing of it the song and it's patterns. Two problems: I felt that this chart was missing a lot. The melody was doing some nice and tricky patterns which I felt were missed. And second, during the break with the long holds, instead of 4th-4th-4th-4th it would have followed the lyrics a lot better if you had have placed all the non-bar 4ths an 8th earlier. Overall 8/10

The Shadow Heavy (9 Footer) and Oni (10 Footer)
Oni - I noticed for the first half or so of the file you were playing safe. I remember you saying you arn't that good at making 10+ footer charts so playing the more basic patterns like you did was probably wise. The section with the 16th jumps that came in I liked, something about it seemed fun. Now then, the part where you you have the down-jump stream, the fact the stream suddenly stops then is followed by this seems kind of forced and awkward but it fits the music so I guess it's ok. Once again in the final section I felt you were playing safe probably a little too much except it flowed nicely and actually had a nice pattern to it and you ended the song well.
I'll give this an 8/10, I think you saying you are bad at making 10s is totally wrong, you just need to go out of your safe zone with them more and get something interesting and fresh. EraserMotor Maximum (from DW3) was a brillaint example of this and was Fantranstic Oni (which I am yet to review, but I can tell you it's nice). So keep these points in mind and you will fly (no pun intended) with the harder files yet.

Heavy - I must say this instantly reminded me of Deadly Blow Heavy. The patterns at the start although gimmicky are very nice, that kind of step is hard to work with since I have seen charts where they are completly destroyed by it! You have used it very well. This is especially noticable when you reach the section with the 16ths again, it actually feels like proper dance steps. One thing I think should be changed is that jumpstepjumpstep stream, it was good in Oni but it doesn't do much for the chart in heavy, you could have put something much more interesting there. Compared to the rest of the song the ending was probably a tad too hard except it was solid and the double steps and crossovers were well palced rounding the chart off at 9/10

Never Give Up Heavy (6 Footer)
Felt a lot like most of the 6s and 7s in DDR. There isn't too much to say about this chart since I was never a big fan of mainstream DDR 6s but as far as I can tell there were no major flaws and nothing overly technical so if you are looking for a nice warm up (or warm down?) chart I would do this. 8/10

Go Racing Go Heavy (8 Footer)
The song itself has a really powerful energy to it so you were doing the right thing stepping this. The chart is fast and really fun, it really focuses you showing a good variaty of endurance and technical challenge. Also i'm not sure if it was just my bad technique except this is the first chart i've played where you actually have to quickly turn to hit and arrow then quickly turn back while holding a freeze. Guess what.. you scored another 10/10 with this! Excellent stuff

One thing I have noticed though, is with all your 6s , 7s and 8s you are becoming too predictable. Using the same rhythms and patterns. I'm giving you a bit of a heads up to look for some different approches to songs before it gets a tad out of hands, thus far though it hasn't been a problem so don't worry.

Next, i'll do 2 long reviews rather than 4 shorter ones. Fantranstic and TDoL, I feel they need it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Starlight Reviews   

Back to top Go down

Starlight Reviews
Page 1 of 1